ChemNet > Gold Suppliers > Worthington Biochemical Corporation
About Us

    History of the IndustryMajor breakthroughs occurred in the 1930's and 40's when researchers were finally learning how to purify individual proteins out of crude cell extracts. Biochemistry soon became a field dependent upon highly purified enzymes which in turn could be used to discover more enzymes and to determine the structure of each different kind of protein.

    Biochemical research labs had two important tasks: learning more about proteins, and purifying proteins to expedite that research. As in all scientific endeavor, each lab published its findings so other labs could build on that knowledge. Consequently, a researcher in the 1940's who wished to study the structure of a particular protein would probably contact another research facility and ask them to send a sample of some of the highly purified enzymes its scientists had learned to crystallize. (Crystallized protein was thought to be a protein's purest form.)

    The Founding of WorthingtonAfter World War II Charles Worthington went to work at the Rockefeller Institute as a research assistant to Dr. Moses Kunitz. One of his primary tasks was preparing the crystalline enzymes being used for further research. He recognized the need for a commercial source of reliable, high-purity enzymes since researchers had to invest so much time purifying their own. In 1947 he founded the Worthington Biochemical Company in Freehold, New Jersey for the express purpose of preparing enzymes for the growing biochemical research community.

    The business was incorporated in 1951 to raise funds for expanding the staff. By 1959 the original facility had been out-grown so a new building was purchased in Freehold. Around this time a new field which relied heavily on enzymes had begun developing: clinical diagnostics. Worthington was still virtually alone as a manufacturer of high-purity enzymes and was able to quickly enter this new field.

    The demand for kits to do blood analysis work exploded. By the late 1960's Worthington had already outgrown the second plant, and a new facility was built in Freehold to replace it. New investors were also brought into the company to help finance the sudden growth. A public stock offering was made in 1972, and the plant was expanded further. By 1976 Worthington had sales of $18 million a year, employed around 300 people, and had sales offices in Europe, Canada, and California. The research staff in Freehold was already developing products for areas of biochemical research just beginning to evolve: immunology and molecular biology. (Molecular biology is that field of research involved with genetics and DNA studies.)

    Worthington had remained the primary source of all high-purity enzymes in the world. Its products were consistently excellent, and the needs and concerns of the research community were the focal point of the company. Worthington pricing was based on cost rather than demand so competition remained minimal. Because of the complex nature of enzymes, no synthetic substances had replaced them as tools for biochemical and medical research, and the new areas of research with which Worthington was involved were equally promising for the same reason.

Contact us
Contact:
  Mr. Von Worthington
Phone:
732-942-1660,1-800-445-9603
Mobile phone:
Fax:
732-942-9270,1-800 368-3108
Website:
http://www.worthington-biochem.com
Zip Code:
Address:
730 Vassar Ave,Lakewood, NJ, 08701
World Wide ChemNet: - International - China - U.S.E - urope - India - Japan - China(Taiwan) - Korea - Trading Circle
About Us - Top Products- Partner with Us - Contact Us - Help - Sitemap
ChemNet is a registered trademark of Zhejiang NetSun Co., Ltd.